Saturday, August 25, 2007

Now what am I doing with 10,000 pieces of hemp jewelry? That is a different story...

What determines a fad or trend (F/T)?
This thought comes to me when I am sitting in my office starring at almost 10,000 pieces of hemp jewelry. Hemp is not the "hot" or the "in" thing right now, it's not a current F/T. It's position is back to where it originally started (for a select group). I start thinking to myself about how to change it, how to make people see it differently. It is no different than how everyone instantly started loving the color pink (yes, even males). How can I make that impact? Is it possible to change society's view on a current product?

I think very few people know what determines or starts a F/T. F/T's can last weeks or years, but what and who decides that? My thought (which in no way am I a professional thinker), is that anyone or any business, anywhere in the country can make it start.

If it happens to be an individual that starts the snowball, they have to have something about them personally that will make the F/T contagious, or relationships with infectious people and/or companies. It would appear to me that taking the lonely road of starting the said F/T by yourself would be the most difficult and most time consuming. Even though the web has made it much easier to spread your message (you tube, blogs, forums, and other media sites), you would still have to make an impact on the readers, viewers, and listeners. But could we (the individuals), create a F/T in the market of our choice? I am challenging myself and anyone else out there, that wants to sell a product, a service, or an idea, to make that thing the one that everyone wants to get their hands on. Don't just market your item, make it the next big F/T, be creative!

I will try to do this with hemp jewelry and hemp accessories. Whether I am successful or not I will keep a log (and post it on our blog as they happen) of what I've tried and how it turned out. Let me know what works (or doesn't) for you.
`chais

No comments: