Monday, September 24, 2007

Reward the front line...

The majority of time in business, the main people that get the big rewards, are the people in charge. While this philosophy has its advantages for the Boys in charge...it really sucks for the little guys.

If you have worked in retail, the food industry, at a local swimming pool, or a manufacturing plant, you have probably had the thought "what would they do without me". That thought is more valid than you probably realize. You are the front line people, and some of the most important people in your organization. You decide whether the company makes it or breaks it. You decide whether the company excels or is average. Whoever your boss is, he/she needs to be taking notice of this fact and thinking about what they can be doing to make sure you have the things you need to do your best.

I'm not saying that if you feel like your bosses aren't respecting you that you should curse the customers away or poison the food at the local diner. I am saying that you (the employees as a whole) have control in a positive and negative way with the company you work for. Be aware, if you decide to start doing things that will affect your company in a negative way, you have the extreme possibility of getting fired (as any good boss/ manager should do if an employee is in sabotage mode). But if your looking at and trying to change things in a positive way, you need to be noticed and rewarded.

Last night I went to a local coffee shop. It was Sunday night at 9:30 PM and I had a huge craving for a Large, Skinny, Spiced Chai Tea Latte, with a shot of vanilla (oh ya, that sounds good). I went through the drive through, put my car in park and imagined the amazing taste of my soon to be chai tea while I was waiting for the employee to come to the window. Here he comes, only he is wearing street clothes, "I'm confused" I thought, "where is his Barista's Daily Grind (the name of the coffee shop) Uniform?" This particular employee I have never met before. I asked him if they were open, and he said that on Sundays they close @ 7 and he was just hanging out after work. He asked me what I had wanted and I told him without even registering that he was there on his own time, "a Large, Skinny, Spiced Chai Tea Latte, with a shot of vanilla" and he said ok. What? did I hear him right? He didn't say, "come back tomorrow night and we will be open later". No, he said, "What would you like?" I look into the window to see if he is playing with my mind or something, he's not, he is making my drink! I am ecstatic! I get my wallet out to give him a big tip, he hands me my drink and says "sorry the register is closed, I am just going to have to give it to you." WOW! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I am in awe of this guy that his precious mother so thoughtfully named "Mike". Mike, Thank you so much for making me a permanent patron of this coffee shop.

Mike did a very little thing that required 3 minutes of his own personal time, and he championed all employees that work for Barista's. I will never forget that little sacrifice from a coffee shop employee. He is "the front line person" that should be noticed, recognized, and rewarded. I'll tell a lot of people about this experience, and Barista's definitely will get additional business because of this small act of kindness. Nice Job Mike!

Mike, when you feel you aren't being respected or appreciated by your employer, let me know and we will find a place for you within our organizations. Thanks again.
`chais

No comments: